Conservatory Update Plans

As the end of the summer holidays approaches, I am increasingly aware that having decided to hold fire on the change of layout on our ground floor, we are continuing to live with rooms that are completely un-used. This frustrates me and I am itching to do something about it.

As mentioned in this post, I am reluctant to share pictures of our conservatory because, well, I hate it! But, the time has come to make some decisions regarding this space so, if for no other reason than to have some ‘before’ shots, here are a few pictures of the area as it is now. (Actually, I spent hours cleaning these rooms for the photos, who am I kidding?!)

Home Heart Harmony Conservatory woes

Home Heart Harmony Conservatory woes

Home Heart Harmony Conservatory woes

Home Heart Harmony Conservatory woes

I can’t wait to get a proper roof on the conservatory – it’s south-facing and far too hot to sit in when the sun shines (even if it’s cold outside) but I do have one major concern. The room adjoining the conservatory is our ‘den’ (see below). At present, it is pretty dark and uninviting having no windows of its own. By replacing the transparent roof in the conservatory, it’s only going to get darker still and that is a concern for us.

Home Heart Harmony Conservatory woes

Hubby and I had a chat about these concerns and he has suggested leaving a vaulted ceiling into which we could fit VELUX windows. I’m thinking a couple of these windows in the new roof would allow a fair amount of light through. The only slight hesitation I had was that we would still be in the same position regards too much light overheating the room. However, I shouldn’t have worried as you can also get specially fitted blinds which are available in a range of options including black-out and energy-saving.

Home Heart Harmony Conservatory woes

Home Heart Harmony Conservatory woes

[Images source]

I just hope we can get moving with this project in the next 100 years! I don’t know why it seems to take us so long to commit!

As always, you can sign up to my email feed and follow me on FacebookTwitterPinterest and Instagram for updates between posts. Thanks so much for reading. Until next time…xoxo!

This post has been written in collaboration with VELUX but, as always, all thoughts, words, opinions (and mistakes!) are 100% my own.

P.S. Linking this post up at the ‘Home Etc.’ Linkup here and here.

All text and images are copyright Home Heart Harmony unless stated. Single images may be reproduced only if they remain in their original state and must be credited back to Home Heart Harmony with a link to the site. Failure to do so constitutes a copyright violation.

Home Etc

10 comments

1. emma says:

… I’m making grand plans for my conservatory refurb too, so very interesting to read your thoughts!
    I think it ‘takes so long to commit’ because life gets in the way of such plans!!
    I’m sure yours will be lovely – do share the results with us!
    Emma 🙂

• Sue Parfitt says:

Thanks Emma. You are right about life getting in the way! We have intended to get this room sorted for at least the last 5 years! It’s usually money that makes us hold off. One day eh?! 😉 xx

2. mummyofboygirltwins says:

Good luck. And what a lovely place! I always wanted a conservatory – seems so grown up! Great windows too 🙂 Thanks for linking up and sharing, much appreciated. Great to have you. Jess xx

#HomeEtc

• Sue Parfitt says:

Thanks Jess, you may be surprised to know that I wouldn’t be recommending a conservatory! These pictures are very good at hiding all the damp on the wall from when the roof leaked and there is no way to convey how hot it gets out there. All summer we waited for some sun and when did it arrive? The day I had decided to clean out the conservatory! #sweaty

3. Lisa@intotheglade says:

Oh I had a conservatory in one of my houses and we had the same issues with the clear roof. We really only used it at Christmas when it was dark outside and covered in fairy lights ha! Good luck with your plans xx

4. Caro | The Twinkles Mama says:

Our ‘smart’ (kid-free) sitting room is in our conservatory. The heat/cold issue is such a problem though! We’ve got a ceiling over some of the glass panels and it’s definitely made a slight difference though. I’d like to get proper central heating in there too — and a carpet — I think that would help 🙂 Thanks so much for linking up with us — hope to see you next time 🙂 #HomeEtc

Caro | http://www.thetwinklediaries.co.uk

• Sue Parfitt says:

Yes, you’re right, a carpet would probably make a massive difference but I suppose it would get sun-damaged too. I’ve got hubby on the case as he’s just discovered a company that specialises in putting conventional roofs on conservatories. I watched a video of it and it looks like a pretty good compromise (as long as it’s cheaper than a traditional roof I guess). We’re looking into costs for both options. Watch this space! xx

5. Rachel @ The Ordinary Lovely says:

I was expecting something truly awful after your introduction but it’s not that bad at all. Can’t wait to see what you decide to do. You have to share! We had a conservatory in our old house and used it as a dining room. It was freezing in the winter though.

• Sue Parfitt says:

Yes, I think these pictures are deceptive, the walls are actually peeling where the roof leaked and it’s so draughty! I will be sure to share the details as we update! Thanks for stopping by! Xx

Comments are closed.