Decorating with…Duck Egg

Ask anyone who knows me what my favourite colour is and they will probably give you the same answer…blue! Ever since I can remember, I have loved blue in all its forms. I even had navy blue bridesmaid dresses at my wedding. I have decorated with blue in all of my homes with varying degrees of success and in recent years, the lighter, greener shades of blue seem to have been increasingly popular as home decor choices. My current favourite blues to decorate with are the duck egg shades that are so versatile and calming as well as the greyer tones and powdery shades which are perfect for creating a relaxed, cool environment which works equally well for living rooms, bedrooms, kitchens and bathrooms.

We decorated our living room back in 2008 with a duck egg shade which I still absolutely love. It is definitely my favourite room in the home in which to relax and unwind.

Our Duck Egg Living Room

Our Duck Egg Living Room

I love the calm restful feeling of being this room

I love the calm restful feeling of being this room

To be honest, I could happily decorate my entire home with various shades of blue and having scoured the internet for inspiration, I just might!

Look at this sophisticated room featured on the blog ‘House of Turquoise’

Serene and Sophisticated

Serene and Sophisticated

[source]

I’m a little bit upset at how much nicer this looks than my own living room!! Maybe I shouldn’t have put those images so close together!

Moving on…I also love this more ‘shabby chic’ lounge which embraces the ‘pretty’ and teams a pale duck egg with floral patterns and touches of pink. Always a winning combination in my book.

Shabby chic - sooooo pretty!

Shabby chic – sooooo pretty!

[source]

How about this beautiful bedroom which uses the classic combination of pale blue and white but mixes in some dark wood which looks so classy?

A Classy Blue Bedroom

A Classy Blue Bedroom

[source]

I think this colour works so well in a bedroom, it is so soothing and relaxing. It makes me want to run upstairs right now and start stripping wall-paper!

This Laura Ashley bedroom keeps the duck-egg colour within the accessories but I love it just as much and how fabulous is that light fitting?! (Get saving for that one though, it’s £375!!)

It's all about the accessories darling...

It’s all about the accessories darling…

[source]

How about introducing some blue into the kitchen? I love the idea of using the colour on the walls with cream or white units. It adds a fabulous pop of colour without having to commit to coloured units.

Cool kitchen

Cool kitchen

[source]

Having said that, I would love to have the courage to use colour on the units themselves. This colourful kitchen is almost enough to convince me…

Colourful units - are you brave enough?

Colourful units – are you brave enough?

[source]

What do you think? Are you crazy for the colour blue? Do these pictures make you want to take a paint brush to every room in your house? While you ponder, let me just throw a few last ideas into the mix.

Blue bathroom anyone?

Blue bathroom anyone?

[source]

Perhaps this ridiculously cute dresser would be enough to brighten up a white kitchen?

[source]

I am definitely going to give something in my home a paint treatment like this. I've got my eye on just the thing...

I am definitely going to give something in my home a paint treatment like this. I’ve got my eye on just the thing…

[source]

Anyone else planning to decorate with duck egg any time soon? Maybe you have just finished creating your blue dream-room. Send me your pictures, I would love to hear about it. We are planning some big(ish!) changes around here. (Finally managed to get the hubby on-board with some updates I want to make!) Maybe I can convince him that blue is just the colour for our new space?!

As always, you can sign up to my email feed (see sign-up box top right on a computer or below on a tablet or smart phone), and follow me on FacebookTwitterPinterest and Instagram for updates between posts. Thanks so much for reading. Until next time…xoxo!

P.S. – You can see other posts in the ‘Decorating with…’ series here and here.

P.P.S – Sharing this post over at The Twinkle Diaries #HomeEtc Linkup.

All text and images are copyright Home Heart Harmony unless stated and opinions are my own. Single images may be reproduced only if they remain in their original state and must be credited back to Home Heart Harmony with a link to the site. Failure to do so constitutes a copyright violation.

Home Etc

31 comments

1. Charlene says:

Hi ya,
    Love your front room…where is your fireplace from? Does it sit on the wall flat or is it a real traditional chimney fireplace? I’m after an electric one like this…

• Sue Parfitt says:

Thanks for the comments about the fireplace ladies. I have been searching the internet and wracking my brains to try and remember where I got it from and I can’t think of the name! I’m going to have a rummage through my old paperwork to see if I can find an invoice over the next couple of days so bear with me!

2. Mel Sheldon says:

I love the style of your living room and am planning to do very similar in mine. Please can you tell me what you used on the other 3 walls to coordinate with the duck egg chimney breast and the Laura Ashlet isodore wallpaper? I’m hopeless at matching colours and really like your style! Thanks

3. Sam says:

Lurrrve the design of your living room have the same colour sofa and didn’t know what colours would compliment. Thank you for giving me some inspiration :0)

4. Sammy at Seize each day says:

Oooh lovely post and I’m with you completely on duck egg blue. I love it. Our bedroom is decorated using duck egg blue with a Laura Ashley paper – it’s my fave. I think I’d have it everywhere too if I was allowed lol.
    Love all the pictures you included. It certainly gets you thinking doesn’t it.
    #HomeEtc
    Sammy x

5. Caro | The Twinkles Mama says:

Aah it’s lovely Sue! I’m a fan of duck-egg too — although I quite like a little pop of red — or raspberry with it to stop it all looking a bit insipid. It’s such a restful shade isn’ it? No wonder you love your sitting room so much :) xx

Thanks so much linking in with us on #HomeEtc — we really do appreciate it :)

PS — well done on winning last month’s HomeSense voucher — you really deserved it!

Caro | http://www.thetwinklediaries.co.uk

6. Jen @ 4128 miles says:

I adore blue – my whole house would be shades of blue if I could get away with it!
    We used Farrow & Ball pale powder and white tie in our master bedroom and everyone commented on how beautiful it was. Funnily enough we now rent our home and the tenants have recently asked if they can replant the room to a more ‘neutral’ colour and it has devastated me! #homeetc

7. A Cornish Mum says:

This is one of my favourite colours and I am in love with your living room! Unfortunately I live with a man who has an opinion when decorating…much as I love him I soooo long to have a prettier house! 😉

Stevie x #HomeEtc

8. claire says:

Loving your living room! – I bought he same wall paper in the summer and having redecorated our whole house we are now ready to hang the wall paper! – Did you use Laura Ashley wall paper paste or another brand eg Solvite? Thanks

• Sue Parfitt says:

Thanks so much Claire. We used a standard Solvite wallpaper adhesive (I didn’t know Laura Ashley did their own!) It worked fine and has stood the test of time – I think we probably did it 7 or 8 years ago now! Good luck with your wallpapering! xx

9. Jackie says:

Hi Sue your amazing the colours work well & every room is beautiful , interesting & different , like most l love your lounge in duck egg , would you be able to let me know your opinion l have a dark chocolate leather sofa , would duck egg go with this colour ? , also would you kindly let me know where you bought the curtains & the name of the colour please , you certainly have an artistic flair for design , hope to hear from you soon x

• Sue Parfitt says:

Hi Jackie, thank you so much for your sweet words, I really appreciate it. I think duck egg can go really well with dark brown leather. If I were putting them together, I would go with a really pale shade of duck egg and try to keep all the other elements of the room as light as possible to balance out the dark brown. It might be good to also add some lighter, softer textures as well to complement the leather. The curtains are silk and were from Laura Ashley, the shade is duck egg. Good luck with your makeover, I hope it turns out great! Xx

• Jackie says:

Hi Sue would you mind if I sent you a photo of my dull & boring dark lounge ? Wondered if you would kindly give me your advice please , I have swatches of the Laura Ashley Isidore duck egg , as you have , please take as a big complement , & also Erin duck egg wallpaper , shown on Laura Ashley website , at this time am only papering the facing main wall with the fire place on & the side & back walls in almond white emulsion, which paper of the Two would you suggest , that would complement the rest of the room ? Also would you put curtains to match the wallpaper or plain curtains ? Really hope you don’t mind me asking you , your probably very busy with Christmas at the moment , but if ever you do have the time , I’d be so very very great full Xx

10. Lynda Plant-Wells says:

Really lovely! The sitting room is far too classy to be called a ‘lounge’ You would never see anything like that in a pub or airport! Beautiful country houses (or London apartments) don’t have ‘lounges.’

• Sue Parfitt says:

Ha ha, I’ve never thought of it like that!! Perhaps I should give it a name like they do in the posh hotels!! 😉

11. Carol says:

Hi Sue
    Like everyone else I absolutely love your living room and hopefully you won’t mind me asking your advice. We are in the process of choosing a fabric to reupholster the sofa which at the moment is dark blue with a “ditsy” type pattern. I really want to use a duck egg fabric with a tiny shell pattern for this but the problem is that I also have 2 navy blue leather chairs which will eventually be replaced. What colour chairs would you recommend? I was thinking neutral but I am concerned that they will show every mark. Could you recommend any other colour please? Many thanks x

• Sue Parfitt says:

Hi Carol, Thanks so much for your lovely comment. I am so flattered! I was also worried about finding a colour to complement the duck egg. I had decided to go with two different coloured sofas and I went backwards and forwards on the colour of the other one for a while! Pale, natural colours (especially creams) do look fab with the duck egg but, like you, I worried that they would soon be ruined (we have two kids and one very hairy dog tearing around our living room daily!) I think staying with a natural tone, but going for the slightly darker, oatmeal or biscuit tones is a great compromise. Our ‘oatmeal’ sofa has stood up very well to the wear and tear and, I would say, actually shows the marks less than the duck egg one. Otherwise, grey works well with it too if you stick with the bluer tones. If you are feeling brave, I have seen coral and pink used with duck egg to fabulous effect! Hope this helps! Good luck with your updates! xx

12. Tina Doherty says:

Hi Sue,

I absolutely adore your living room decor, its so gorgeous.

Inbought the Isodore Duck Egg Blue wallpaper that you have on your living room walls and I was going to accessorise it with my black picture frames, do you think this would match. I was going to paint my chimney brace pale duck egg blue with a black mirror over it, what do you think? I dont have the money to exchange my black picture frames which cost alot of money.
    Thanks
    Tina

• Sue Parfitt says:

Hi Tina, thanks so much for your lovely comment. We have been living with our duck egg living room for about 8 or 9 years now and we still love it every day! I definitely think your black frames could work with the duck egg. I remember worrying that our black hearth and fireplace would be too heavy but actually, it works fine because we’ve mixed it in with the white and silver accents. I think if you can mix in some lighter textures and colours as well and make sure you get the lighting right, you can really make it work. It all sounds very exciting! Good luck with your project xx

13. susan vaughan says:

Hi Sue, I am a Sue too! And share your love of duck egg blue, must be a “Sue” thing? love your sitting room, gorgeous, just to throw an idea in the mix, I recently painted one of my hall walls in DE, and have accessorised with pale greens and chalk whites as accents, I could not be more pleased! Also I saw recently on pinterest, duck egg with red, it actually looks fabulous, next project, a duck egg living room?……… regards Sue, Manchester UK. X

• Sue Parfitt says:

How funny you should say this Sue! I have been working on a blog post this week about colours that go with duck egg! It’s a search term that leads people to my site so frequently I thought I would cover it in full! Green is on the list! We have also used it with peach and pink in our daughter’s room and it looks great! Thanks so much for stopping by xx